Summer’s here and so are the Mangoes! <3 When in a fix whether to be thankful or not for the misery of heat, just mix up some Mango Milkshakes/ Lassi/ Juice/ Smoothie/ why even Srikhand! Srikhand is soft, creamy, cold and embarrassingly addictive – which makes for a perfect Summer Sunday dessert.
In the last few weeks, I was making trips to Gujrati & Rajasthani Thali-based Restaurants here. The trips became as frequent as every weekend. It was then that my family realized Shrikhand was the primary reason why. And so the next weekend they bought me the supplies needed to make Srikhand at home and that ended the visits! Summer brings with it cravings that are unasked for and sometimes it’s okay to give in and just enjoy the moment!
Happy Summertime to you! 🙂
My Recipe Corner
- Spread fresh yogurt (not sour one) on a clean muslin cloth, strain the excess whey and leave it in the fridge under a heavy bowl or lid. Let excess whey strain for 24 hours. Keep the yogurt covered and wrapped till you see that there is no water left.
- If you have no time for straining process, use greek yogurt instead
- Transfer yogurt to a large mixing bowl, and gently stir in sugar in the ratio of 1 cup of sugar for 2 cups of strained yogurt (avoid confectionery sugar since it has cornstarch in it), add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to it. Yogurt has a tendancy to keep getting sour and heavy cream stops that process.
- Add in Pistachios, saffron and powdered cardamom before serving. When they are combined with yogurt mix, transfer mixture into a serving dish, using an offset spatula to smooth out the top. Evenly sprinkle reserved pistachios, and a pinch of saffron over the top, and chill for an hour before serving. Shrikhand tastes best when served chilled.
- Try including the add-ons just before you serve the Shrikhand. Shrikhand can be stored covered in the fridge for a few days (but pistachios will soften).
My Top Recipe Recommendations
- Kesar Pista Shrikhand | Kesari Shrikhand
- Instant Shrikhand made using Greek Yogurt
- Mango Shrikhand/Amarkhand , also love this recipe
- Mixed Tooty-Fruity & Nuts Shrikhand
- Rajbhog Shrikhand, Matho
- Kaji Draksh Shrikhand/ Cashew- Kismis Shrikhand
- Fruit Shrikhand
- Chocolate Shrikhand
- Vermicelli Shrikhand
- Rose Shrikhand/Gulkhand Shrikhand – Gujrati Style!
- Apple Pista Shrikhand
- Strawberry Shrikhand with Almonds
- Jamun Shrikhand
- Pineapple Shrikhand
- Honey Nut Shrikhand