Upma is our favorite and most reliable lunchbox go-to. My mom used Arisi (Rice) Upma as her go-to everytime there was a need. I know many folks who leverage Rava Upma as their favorite dinner time food – for caloric (diet) reasons. Seviyan/Semya/Semiya/Sevia/Sevai Upma is one such breakfast recipe that is super popular among kids and adults alike. Many thanks to Bambino – we can shake-it up and turn it into whatever we like. Scroll for some really interesting recipes inside! 🙂
This week is dedicated to quick and easy lunchbox recipes. You know how this Blog works, every dish comes with multiple variations! Enjoy!!
My Recipe Corner
This low calorie breakfast along with a side of coconut chutney and a cup of hot coffee is something one deserves every morning! 😉
- Heat ghee in a large frying pan over low heat. Add 1 cup vermicelli. Sauté, stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Be sure to stir frequently otherwise they will brown on one side or even burn. Set aside when done.
- Heat oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp Urad Dal, and 1 tsp of Bengal Gram and curry leaves. Stir with a generous pinch of asafoetida.
- Add 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 green chili and 1″ piece grated ginger. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until the onions turn soft and translucent. Add small cubed beans and carrot
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables are half cooked. Pour in 1 and 1/2 cup of water with salt. Increase the heat. Bring to boil.
- Once water comes to a rolling boil, add in the roasted vermicelli and stir continuously so that it doesn’t clump. Lower the heat to medium. Simmer until semiya is cooked and water is absorbed. Stir in green peas. Heat through. Usually a vermicelli : water ratio of 1 : 1.5 works well for me.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with your favorite chutney ( Tomato Onion Chutney or Coconut Pearl Onion Chutney).
My Top Semiya Recipe Recommendations
This is one of those recipes that is popular all over India and has variations based on the place of preparation. Seviyan/Semia,Semya/Semiya/Sevia/Sevai recipe:
- Classic Semiya Upma with Veggies
- Coconut Sevai/Thengai Sevai
- Lemon Sevai
- Ragi Sevai/Ragi Semiya
- Mamidikai/Raw Mango Semiya Upma
- Tomato Semiya Upma
- Kerala Style Vermicelli Upma
- Andhra Style Semiya Upma
- Kids lunchbox Recipe
- Chinese Semiya Upma
My Improv & Notes
- I use thin vermicelli in my recipe. If you are using thick vermicelli, make sure you add 2 cups of water
- You can also add chopped bell peppers or capsicums to this recipe as well
- Sprinkle water on the onions as they cook to avoid them turning brown
- If you are using fresh green peas as opposed to the frozen peas, add them along with other veggies as they require longer cooking time
- Make sure to add and check for salt and other seasoning when you add water to boil, as once you add vermicelli and cook, you wont be able to add any more seasoning to it
- Many of us always buy pre-roasted vermicelli sold in the store. If you buy regular vermicelli, dry roast them over low heat till they change color. Also, if you get long vermicelli, you can always break them into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces by hand
- Boil water in the microwave to save time
Restaurants Serving Good Semiya Upma in Bay Area
None that I know of.. Will update this section once something opens up!
Need to Buy Groceries and Food Supplies?
Place a pickup order with your local store through Fish’s Chat-based ordering platform. Because it is just that easy to chat with a business now.