Best Occasion to Prepare this Recipe
In mood to load up on Carbs? Everytime I feel Carbohydrates, I just close my eyes and wait for some taste to run down my throat – and that’s how I pick my beasty feast! And… tonight was the night for Dal Makhani, Aachar, Dahi with Butter Rice. ..SO reminded me of Santosh Dhaba from back home.. Sigh…!
Even if this is your first time cooking, you cannot ruin this recipe. So, pick up your Apron and start cooking!
For those of you unfamiliar with this amazing Dal based Classic, Dal Makhani is prepared using black urad dal and kidney beans that are rich in protein. Like most other creamy and buttery recipes, this one is also native to Punjab. Traditionally, Dal Makhani recipe is prepared by simmering it overnight in a tandoor, but over the years several tips and tricks to simplify the preparation process came into existence.
Not only has this recipe been popular for its lengthy preparation process, but also been called for – for its not-so-healthy ingredients. That said, there are several subtle variations of this recipe, that are equally delicious and make up for the health and fitness quotient…Such as..
Punjabi Maah Ki Dal or Kaali Dal Recipe– Lighter in texture with the traditional spicy taste. This is devoid of Butter and Cream that makes this the popular alternative for everyday consumption.
Maah Chole ki Dal or Punjabi Maah Choleyaan Di Dal – This recipe is minimally spiced. The flavors come in through Onions, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. The lentils used in this Dal based recipe are – split Black Urad Dal and Chana Dal.
In this Page, I’ve listed in recipes of Dal Makhani that’ll make you popular in your house parties, and also some home based healthier alternatives. Read on!
PS: Dal Makhani tastes great with Chapati or Roti and Flavored Rice Recipes
My Top Recipe Recommendations
- Punjabi Dal Makhani – Home Style Cooking
- Maunika Gowardhan’s Punjabi Dal Makhani
- Pickometer Score 4.6/5.0 If you’re using a Pressure cooker, give it over 7-8 whistles to mash up the lentils
- Easy Slow Cooker Dal Makhani
- Pickometer Score 4.6/5.0 She has skipped Onions from her recipe and yet it looks and tastes authentic. Check it out!
2. Restaurant Style & Dhaba Style Dal Makhani
- Swaad Anusaar with Seema’s – Restaurant Style Dal Makhani
- Pickometer Score 4.50/5.0 Color + Consistency is all that makes this dish immensely popular. She’s given some good tips for achieving the right consistency
- Crazy4Veggie’s Dal Makhani – Dhaba Style
- Pickometer Score 4.50/5.0 Extremely long winding preparation process but absolutely worth it. She’s cooked the Dal in a slow cooker, left “on” overnight together with whole spices. Recommends using fresh Ginger and two fist full of freshly chopped corriander leaves. Once the Masala paste is added to the Dal, some Dal is blended to creamy paste for improving the consistency of the gravy.
3. Punjabi Maah Ki Dal/ Kaali Dal – NOT Maa Ki Dal. Dal is mushed after cooking for consistency. Also, without all the fat, it’s as healthy as it can get!
4. Maah Choleyaan Di Dal – With Asafoetida for the flavor and Red Chili Powder for color, this Daal recipe invites you to try it at home TODAY!
My Improv & Notes
- Using whole spices like whole Cardamom and Cloves in the gravy makes a lot of difference
- Remember to slow cook the gravy for long time to get that creamy taste. Initially Pressure cook the Dal for 30 minutes or so, later slow cook on low flame for 25 mins atleast for all the flavors to sink in leaving buttery-creamy taste
- Ofcourse, apart from slow cooking the gravy, Butter and Cream are the deal makers
- Another trick to get the creamy texture without adding fat is – by blending-up about two cups of the cooked Dal stew and stirring it back into the pot. The starchy lentils get nice and creamy that way
- Interestingly, you can make Vegan version of this Dal by substituting ghee and butter with oil and yogurt and cream with cashew cream and any Vegan Yogurt
- If you’re looking to hit it close to Restaurant Style recipe, smoky Charcoal infused Aroma in your gravy would make the difference. You can try the Dhungar Method (charcoal smoking technique) that is also recommended for Palak Paneer Recipe
- Ground coriander, freshly cut Ginger and cumin liven up the dish, and a splash of lime at the end works wonders
- Wherever you live, try to get yourself access to some Kasuri Methi. It will do good justice to this recipe
Restaurants Serving Best Dal Makhani in Bay Area
Need to Buy Groceries and Food Supplies?
Place a pickup order with your local store through Fish’s Chat-based ordering platform. Because it is just that easy to chat with a business now.