Have you just done grocery shopping and are in mood for some heavy cooking? Stretch yourself up before you plunge into the best 2 hours of kitchen time with one of these recipes of Hyderabadi Dum Biryani!
From where I come, Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is much fussed about. Be it eating out or bring in home, my family and I heavily audit the credentials of the restaurant/recipe before swiping our card. I’m sure many of you maybe on the same page as I, this dish can easily turn around a bad day for many!
Similar to many popular Indian Food varieties, Biryani recipe has innumerable variants, mostly named after their region of origin. To name a few, Hyderabadi Dum Biryani, Delhi Biryani, Lucknowi Biryani, Dindigul Biryani, Ambur Biryani, Chettinad Biryani, Kerala Biryani, Mughlai Biryani, Kalyani Biryani, Afghan Biryani are among the popular ones. This list is unending as many of the above Biryani types have several variations. Given the constraint of space and time, I’m going to stick to the favorite of favorites in this blog post, Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani.
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani comes from the land of Nawabs and is widely enjoyed for its unique combination of spices, flavors and aroma. I personally enjoy three aspects of this Dum Biryani- Caramalized Onions, Dum Masala (which is inconsistently spread through the Basmati rice) and cashews fried in ghee (oh yes- for that I give bonus points!).
PS: This recipe pairs best with mirchi ka salan and onion raita
My Top Three Recipe Recommendations
Given this recipe is pretty elaborate and that I’m very picky about the perfect recipe, I’ve brought together some of my favorite recipes out in the internet, do take a look!
For those of you who enjoy Egg Biryani, I’ve added in some of the good recipes as well!
Vegetable Dum Biryani
- Hebbar’s Kitchen – Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani
- Pickometer Score 4.30/5.0 The Dum mix in this recipe is perfect. I’m especially not a fan of green beans in Dum Biryani. I prefer sticking to Carrot, Cauliflower, Potatoes and Green Peas. Some people add Brocolli, Squash also to this recipe
- Sruthi Vantillu – Veg Dum Biryani Recipe in Telugu
- Pickometer Score 4.70/5.0 This recipe narration is in Telugu. I would rate her recipe as one of the best, mainly because of the homemade Biryani Masala made from scratch. Also, she has added in fried bread crumbs to her final recipe (you must wonder how that tastes!)..You can skip adding capsicum to your recipe if you find that unorthodox
Egg Dum Biryani
- Relish the Bite Hyderbadi Egg Biyani
- Pickometer Score 4.75/5.0 The Dum Masala in this one is especially strong and very aromatic. Also, I love my eggs to look and taste dressed up! The egg masala and Paneer’s Marinade taste just perfect
- Food Vedam Egg Biryani
- Pickometer Score 4.60/5.0 This recipe was near perfect in my heavy bottomed non stick cooking pot. If you can get a grab of a clay pot, do try and let me know how the flavors are enhanced!
- Get Curried Egg Biryani
- Pickometer Score 4.50/5.0 This one is not our traditional Hyderabadi style Dum Biryani, but definitely appetizing and well presented. It will be a quick and easy prep when you have some guests over!
Restaurants Serving Best Hyderabadi Dum Biryani in Bay Area
- Hyderabad Dum Biryani
- Biryani Pot
- Pakwan Restaurant
- Biryani & Kababs
- Paradise Biryani Pointe
- Saffron Grill
Need to Buy Groceries and Food Supplies?
Place a pickup order with your local store through Fish’s Chat-based ordering platform. Because it is just that easy to chat with a business now.