Best Occasion to Prepare this Recipe
Are you feeling under the weather? Or are you just picturing slurping a hot beverage and getting under the rugs? Even if you’re simply not in the mood to prepare an elaborate meal, there’s always Rasam to the rescue!
Atleast 90% of the people I know call Rasam their favorite meal item on the thali!.. and Garlic Rasam is certainly the most medicinal yet tasty of them all. It’s obvious core essence, Garlic, rich in Manganese, Vitamin B6 and C is popularly known to combat sickness including common cold, sore throat and fever. This magic vegetable improves blood cholesterol levels, lowers blood pressure and also contains Antioxidants that helps keep Alzheimer’s disease at bay. Garlic rasam is flavored with Black pepper which also has numerous medicinal benefits.
This spicy dish can be prepared in a jiffy and can be served with steaming white rice or can be relished as soup!
PS: This recipe can be best enjoyed with Vadam/Vethal/Chips, Potato fry, beans-carrot poriyal, cabbage poriyal or beetroot poriyal!
My Top Three Recipe Recommendations
- Padhu’s Kitchen Poondu Rasam
- Pickometer Score 4.50/5.0 for helping me relive all those days when I had amma’s poondu rasam and felt alive again! This recipe offers the perfect blend of spices to go with tomato+tamarind mix, topped with Ghee to relieve your sinus pores.
- Veg Recipes of India Garlic Rasam Recipe
- Pickometer Score 4.00/5.0 for those of you who enjoy the taste of fried garlic as opposed to cooked. Garlic in this recipe is crushed, sautéed and used as seasoning
- Kannamma Cooks Poondu Rasam
- Pickometer Score 4.00/5.0 Fenugreek seeds, katti perungayam and “Jillakara Mirel”.. Very interesting recipe prepared the Chettinad style
My Improv & Notes
I improvised over the best Poondu Rasam recipe out there, i.e, Padhu’s. Here are my improvs over the recipe
- I prefer to blend one-two garlic pods to prepare the powder, leave whole garlic pods as is when boiling the rasam and add two garlic pods for seasoning (crushing these would also taste good)
- Adding green chilies (cut lengthwise) when seasoning will add to the aroma of an already aromatic recipe
- Temper with Mustard seeds and Jeera and let the jeera turn near black
- Turn off the rasam as soon as froth forms on the sides. Don’t let the rasam boil as it may ruin the taste