Bhel Puri is Bae for most of us. I can vividly recall that when I was introduced to Chaat as a fat kid, I had my large hands on these first. I also developed a very disturbing habit then – everytime Bhel Puri was served, I would first go digging for those Papdi crumbs or chunks. I also remember I would steal a piece or two from the neighbor’s plate (almost always my sister!). *embarrassed look*. But don’t you agree that crunchy Sev and Papdi pieces make all the difference? Anyway… THAT was the level of maniacal addiction to this delicious junk.
Train journeys, school Picnics, family outings, yearly school potlucks, and more commonly my galli shopping visits are flooded with fond memories of aromatic & very Desi Bhel Puri. Although we love to eat outside in the name of craving galli ka khana, it’s equally pleasurable to hold on to a plate full of this crispy and crunchy yummy-ness when watching TV. That said, I’m going to do the honor of spoiling you with some of my tested gyan. 😀
My Recipe Corner
- To begin making the Bhel Puri Recipe, first get all the ingredients ready
- Prepare/Purchase the Green Chutney, Tamarind Dates Chutney and keep them aside
- Peel the potatoes, boil them, cut them up and keep aside.
- Dry roast peanuts and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the puffed rice (Bhel kurmura), roasted peanuts, potato, finely chopped onion, tomato, cut raw mangoes (optional), grated carrots (optional), some coriander, and green chilies together
- Add the previously prepared tamarind chutney & mint-coriander chutney according to your own taste preferences
- When you are ready to serve the Bhel Puri, in a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients first, then the cut vegetables and finally the chutneys. Toss them well in the bowl until combined
- Crush the (7-8) gol gappas and nimkis directly into the mixture.
- Mix well and add Sev. Mix very well.
- Check the taste of the Bhel Puri and adjust the salt and spices accordingly.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Sprinkle chaat masala all over and mix and top with few seeds of pomegranate (optional) and chopped grapes (optional).
- Serve immediately.
My Top Recipe Recommendations
- Easy Bhel Puri Recipe
- Kurkure Bhel – YES- Kurkure Chips ke Bhel
- Sukha Bhel / Dry Bhel
- Bangladeshi Velpuri / Popular Dhakai Street food
- Papad Bhel/ Appalam Bhel
- Sweet Corn Bhel Puri / Corn Bhel
- Street Style Bhandi Bhel Puri
- Popcorn Bhel
- Oli Bhel Puri / Marathi Special <subtitles included>
- Mumbai Chatpati Bhel
- Kadhi Bhel
- Sprouted Moong Bhel Puri
- Cheese Bhel and Chatpuri – YUMM
- Mexican Bhel – Fusion Recipe
- Maggi Bhel/ Noodles Bhel
- Cheeseling Bhel / Bhel made of Cheeselings
- Jhaal Muri Recipe / Bengali Style Bhel
My Improv & Notes
- Assemble the Bhel puri just before you are going to eat it to prevent the puffed rice from getting soggy. More importantly than anything add all the watery add ons in the end and serve immediately
- If you plan to store-buy the essentials and make them whenever you feel like, simply store the puffed rice, sev, and papdi in air-tight containers
- Pre-make and either refrigerate or freeze the chutney. This allows you to toss the wet and dry ingredients together and prevents that unwanted sogginess
- Various chutneys give bhel puri different flavors. A saunth chutney, for instance, is a dark, sweet chutney derived from tamarind and dates — adding sweetness to your chaat. In contrast, a green spicy chutney uses green chilies and coriander that leaves for a spicy taste. The chatpata flavor comes from the use of both the chutneys
- Some people add grated carrots and tangy cut raw mangoes as well. If available, add both!
- Chaat Bhandaars squeeze in some lemon to the Chaat. Try it in the end!
Restaurants Serving Best Bhel Puri in Bay Area
Need to Buy Groceries and Food Supplies?
Place a pickup order with your local store through Fish’s Chat-based ordering platform. Because it is just that easy to chat with a business now.